May 30, 2009

Back on the saddle

After months of hiding my head in the sand, I popped my head up and took a long look in the mirror. Let me tell you, I knew it was bad, but GEEZ! It almost made me pop right back into that hole. Somehow I managed to keep my sanity - if not some of my self respect- and made plans.
I have been eating less. A lot less. Just today, I left most of my beloved breakfast from my favorite joint on my plate. It was so hard to walk away from that one egg, the piece of extra crispy bacon, and the 2 1/2 pieces of french toast that sat there calling my name. It all kept saying, "How can you leave me here? The cook will think you stopped liking her cooking. You're going to hurt her feelings. How can you resist the gooey, buttery french toast dripping with syrup? And you know you need protein. What better way to eat protein than thru crunchy, crispy bacon? The cook made it extra crispy just for you." The egg didn't seem to have much to say. It let the other two do all the talking.
Despite all the pressure from my meal, I persevered and walked away. I did wipe a tear from my eye, but it was tiny.

THEN....
I did the unthinkable.

I actually got on my bike.

Not only that, but I rode it.

Yep, I rode 6.8 miles today. I was pretty amazed. I really didn't expect to make it. I figured it was a toss up between my shoulder giving out or my legs calling it quits. My shoulder was a real trooper and is just now starting to get stiff and a little sore. Nothing an 800 mg of Ibuprofen won't help. My legs - though they screamed all the way - actually showed up. There was a couple of times that it almost felt like old times. Almost.

The best part? The thing that made me almost tinkle my britches in pure delight?!

I managed to climb the hill that previously bit my hiney and spit it out in chunks - without stopping. I managed to keep a pretty even pace. Not to bad for just starting. Umm... Again.

Now, I have to thank Fisherhead. It is a HUGE help to have someone riding with you. I don't know what it is, but it makes it easier, somehow. Maybe it has something to do with not embarrassing myself. OR, I don't want to let him (or anyone else I ride with) down. Maybe it gives you something to be competitive about. Though I don't feel competitive towards him when we're riding. So, I think it is just the moral support. Just knowing that someone else is huffing and puffing too makes you feel better. Misery loves company must count in bike riding too.

No comments: